16th ICNT TOOLKIT
This page provides access to the documents and resources referenced during the 16th International Conference of National Trusts (ICNT). It is a knowledge base that allows members to seek information and find answers about best practices. The Toolkit will grow over time and become a valuable resource to members.
- The Toolkit contains articles from our members and friends, useful examples of best practices, INTO documents, analysis of organisational options and a growing body of knowledge from around the world.
- Information is placed in categories (by subject) and also ‘tagged’ with key words.
- It is possible to search the Toolkit by Category (subject), by Key Words, by Title, and by words and phrases.
- The 6 most recent articles are listed below.
- Look at an alphabetic list of the content of the ToolKit.
- To dig deeper simply click on the article, Subject or Key Word.
- To search the Toolkit for a word or phrase use the search field below.
Six most recent articles added to the ICNT Toolkit:
- Fit for the Future, A Network for Environmental Practitioners Fit for the Future has just launched its 2015 Progress Report. An interesting and impressive read.
The Fit for the Future Network’s mission is to ensure all organisations become more sustainable by sharing best practice and collaborating. This year they have worked with: 988 environmental practitioners, 106 organisations; collectively saving 14,657 tonnes of CO2 in 2015!
You can ...
- A National Heritage Organisation for Kosovo The Development of a National Heritage Organisation for Kosovo, by Rachel Nordstrom (Supported by the Foundation, cultural Heritage without Borders) draws on examples from across the INTO network (UK, Italy, USA, Uganda).
This report evolved from a series of recommendations made for Cultural Heritage without Borders (CHwB) regarding the future development and strategic planning for their ...
- Delving into British-Galician connections In 2013, INTO and Tesouros de Galicia collaborated on a programme of site visits and discussions about the history of thermal spas in Galicia. The characteristics of the group were taken into account to plan an itinerary which included elements relating to the historic relationship between the British Isles and Galicia. For example, visits to ...
- Manual on Conservation Methodology for Historic Buildings and Structures in the Caribbean This Field Manual on Conservation Methodology for Historic Buildings and Structures(Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) by Beatriz del Cueto (National Parks Service) is the result of fifteen years of research, hands-on experimentation and actual restoration/conservation projects in the Caribbean.
It aims to assist professionals in the construction field who lack formal preservation training but deal with the ...
- A journey through time – campaigning to preserve Kampala’s historical buildings and sites
Kampala, the capital city of Uganda, has a relatively short but rich history. This town of approximately 3 million is the product of the ancient Buganda Kingdom as well as of 80 years of British colonialism.
In the rush to “modernise”, the city’s built heritage is under immense threat. Currently, there is little appreciation of the ...
- Nelson Island Experience: To safeguard the national heritage through protection, restoration, preservation and education
Nelson Island is one of off Trinidad’s west coast in the Gulf of Paria, comprising of approximately 8 acres.
Historically it was used as a landing and immigration depot, and quarantine facility for East Indian indentured immigrants during the period 1866 to 1917. The island still has one of the oldest buildings standing in Trinidad and ...
For an alphabetic table of contents in the Toolkit CLICK HERE
Index by Subject(Categories).
- Advocacy (9)What is the role of National Trusts as Advocates on behalf of Heritage, Natural or Built
- Agricultural (1)National Trusts can be significant holders of agricultural lands and can impact how those lands are managed for biodiversity and for food security.
- Case Studies (3)
- Case Studies in Heritage Conservation (21)Case studies from the field
- Climate Change (6)Climate Change impacts everything that National Trusts care about. This topic looks at the impacts, the adaptation options, mitigation and the changes that Trusts can undertake to help inform and involve people in solutions.
- Commercial Enterprise (2)Many trusts have gift shops, tea rooms, food services, holiday rentals where the revenue supports the trusts core activities.
- Community Involvement (19)Making Special Places relevant and involving communities (the Everyone) in our work
- Emergency response (8)How can National Trusts respond to emergencies?
- Environmental Education (5)What is the role of National Trusts in Environmental Education. How do we reach diverse communities and youth?
- Funding our heritage (12)Funding the costs of maintaining heritage properties can be large. How can we obtain adequate resources?
- Fundraising (12)How do we raise the funds needed to do our work
- Gift Shops (0)Gift shops can provide income and also provide visitors with educational or memorable products to take home.
- Governance (17)Governance models, sample documents.
- Green Buildings (2)Green Buildings, LEED designation. How do these standards apply to historic structures?
- Heritage Education (9)Our role in Heritage Education how, why, who.
- Human resources (7)Employees, Volunteers, People are a vital resource to trusts. Policies, best practices.
- Legal (2)Legal tools and issues
- Organisational Models (29)There is no one organisational model for a National Trust or any conservation organisation.
- Rare Breeds (1)Rare breeds are domesticated animals which are at risk of extinction because they are no longer fashionable or economically viable.
- Technology (0)Using technology to support our mission
- Visitor Experience (11)Giving the visitor a first class experience. Tools, case studies, successes, failures.
- Volunteers (9)Volunteers are a critical part of a National Trust organisation. Best practices. Retention.
- Youth and Nature (6)In urban settings youth are often deprived of the experience of nature and agriculture. National Trusts can play a significant role in addressing this problem.
- Youth engagement (11)Getting young people engaged. Youth programs. Youth membership.
Index by Key Words.
Enter the word or phrase you are searching for below: